Willow by Julia Hoban


Pub Date: April 2009

Summary: Some secrets are hard to keep, especially is they aren’t easily hidden.

Seven months ago, Willow’s parents were killed in a car accident.

She blames herself for losing control of the car, even though it wasn’t her choice to drive home.

Now as a seventeen year old, Willow finds herself living with her older brother.

Who barely speaks to her.

Willow has had to leave behind everything she knows.

Her home. Her friends. Her school.

But somehow, Willow has found away to survive.

She has found something that numbs her from the world around her.

But, it’s something she has to keep secret.

Willow has begun to cut herself.

Then Guy comes into her life.

He soon discovers her secret and makes it his mission to help her, to stop her.

Rating: 4.5 Stars

Review: I thoroughly enjoyed reading Willow. Willow had to be one of the best characters yet. I could relate to her in so many ways. I myself use to have a serious problem with cutting and all throughout the novel, I knew exactly how Willow felt. The guilt, the pain she was causing other, the numbness. I knew it all too well and I felt bad for her. But I also knew that once Guy came into her life everything would change. He wanted to help Willow so bad but she didn’t make it easy for him. She didn’t want help. The relationship and loved between Guy and Willow really developed before your eyes. You saw him fall for her first from the first minute he met her. But for her, falling for him and letting him wasn’t easy. In the end, everything fell together. Guy wasn’t the only person Willow had though. She had her brother but she thought she hated him. When he really didn’t, he loved her more after the accident. Once Willow became friends with Guy, she became friends with his friends too. This meant girlfriends who she could go shopping with and get advice from about guys. Willow never had that after moving away from home. For me, the ending was almost beautiful in a way. I really recommend Willow, I think I’m going to have to read it again very soon.

-Lexi (:

5 comments:

The Library Lurker said...

Great review, and I completely agree. Here's my review if you want to check it out:
http://librarylurker.blogspot.com/2010/02/willow-by-julia-hoban.html

Morgan said...

unlike you, I couldn't really relate to Willow but I still really enjoyed it. And I love the names: Guy and Willow (they're just so unique. Great review!

Amber Skye said...

I saw this book in my school library the other day, and I thought about checking it out, but decided against it. I regret that decision now :)

stargirlreads said...

This looks awesome

BookChic said...

Willow is an amazing debut book, and I can't wait for Julia's next novel. Great review!

Related Posts with Thumbnails